Thirty-six. That’s how old I am today. Although, the sweet young waitress at the restaurant last night announced to all the patrons that I was there celebrating my 21st birthday. A girl after my own heart, for sure. And, while my birthday celebrations over the last couple of days have been wonderful, I personally find birthdays to be somewhat bittersweet. I can say with the Apostle Paul that in many ways, I “would prefer to be away from the body and at home with the Lord” (2 Corinthians 5:8). But of course, to live is also Christ (Philippians 1:21). So where do I turn for comfort in the waiting? To the many promises of God.
A couple of weeks ago, I participated in a women’s conference where the presenters posed this question for small-group discussion: “What is your favorite promise of God?” Promise. Singular! What?! One of the speakers commented that there are some 135 promises from God in the Bible—and I’m inclined to believe there MUST be more. So how in the world could I possibly narrow them down to one favorite? Instead, I started jotting down every promise that came to mind.
Now, the ladies with me concurred that, obviously, the promise of eternal life was paramount. And of course, that’s true. But let’s for a moment take that one as a given and think about some other potential favorites. These aren’t in any particular order, and they aren’t fleshed out at all. That’s something I’ll likely do in the future. But for today, I just want to be overwhelmed by the sheer number of the good things that God has promised me (and you, by the way).
- God works all things together for good for those who love Him and are called according to His purpose (Romans 8:28)
- God orders our steps (Proverbs 16:9; 20:24; 37:23)
- He has set eternity in the hearts of men (Ecclesiastes 3:11)
- Neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor things present, nor things to come, nor powers, nor height, nor depth, nor any other created thing, will be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord. (Romans 8:38-39)
- God will remain faithful, He cannot deny Himself (2 Timothy 2:13)
- Delight yourself in the Lord and He will give you the desires of your heart (Psalm 37:4)
- He who goes before you will fight for you (Exodus 14:14; Deuteronomy 1:30; 3:22; 20:4)
- He will never leave us or forsake us (Deuteronomy 31:6-8; Hebrews 13:5)
- God is sovereign (Deuteronomy 10:14 and 65 other verses)
- God is relational (Matthew 1:23)
- God offers grace, forgiveness, mercy, and unconditional love (Ephesians 2:8; 1 John 1:9; Lamentations 3:22-23)
- He is good, loving, kind, and fair (Psalm 136:1; John 3:16; Luke 6:35; Deuteronomy 32:4)
- I can endure all things through Christ who strengthens me (Philippians 4:13)
- He throws open the floodgates of blessing for those who are faithful (Malachi 3:10)
- He who began a good work in me will be faithful to complete it (Philippians 1:6)
- Nothing is impossible with God (Luke 1:37)
- He is willing and able to do far more than we could ever ask or imagine (Ephesians 3:20)
As you can probably deduce, this list is BY NO MEANS exhaustive. And there are probably some that you think I’ve errantly left out. So I invite you to leave a comment sharing YOUR favorite promise—or promises—of God.